Previously on Friday January 8, I posted a blog and an image of a plein air painting I did at Kiawai Island. When working in my studio I like to take plein air studies and recreate them on a larger scale. I can also use additional references from photographs I took while on location. This painting "Kiawai Island Deer" was composed in such a manner. In the comfort of my studio I can take as long as I feel it is necessary to complete a painting. Sometimes this becomes a disadvantage as I put in too much detail or I go over the same area too many times. When I first started painting in Michigan years ago I enjoyed painting wildlife in the landscape. Which painting do you like better; the plein air version or the studio version?

Popular posts from this blog

Casa Feliz - SOLD

Forces of Nature