Bougainvillea in the Alley

At the last paint out I participated in, I saw this scene that I found very dramatic. I have liked the idea of painting vertical subjects and I find alleys interesting. The strong vertical lines of the buildings and the one point perspective brings the viewer into the frame and takes you right to the vanishing point on the horizon. In the front of the composition, the bright red flowers also lead you down to the vanishing point, which in this painting is the center of interest. Most of the buildings are in shade except the building on the left so I painted a cool shadow color on them and mixed a little warm color into the shadow color. A few strokes of shadow across the road at the bottom help to tie together the buildings and the road. Don't you think flowers make a great painting subject when tied in with architecture?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casa Feliz - SOLD

Lake Helen Barn