Water Lilies

I was out for an early morning walk and noticed lots of lily pads floating in a nearby pond. It was early and the water lily flowers had not opened up yet. I enjoy taking a canoe or kayak into the lake and paddle around in the lily pads. I usually have a fishing pole with me too. Water lilies open later in the morning and then follow the sun as it rotates through the sky. Then they close up in the evening and wait to do it again the next day. This painting is from a photograph I took recently. I was painting these two different flowers because one flower shows its reflection in the water and the other lily shows its shadows as they danced across the lily pads. Don't you think painting a dark dramatic background helps push lighter objects forward?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forces of Nature

Casa Feliz - SOLD