Early Morning

I recently took a trip back to Ohio to visit family and friends. In Ohio there is a easel that I keep in my mom's garage so that it will be there each time I return home to visit. I always try to find a few days where I can paint in the area that I knew as a child. This year I spent two weeks there and was able to get over six small paintings completed. I wanted a different viewpoint so I stood inside one barn looking out to another barn on my Uncle's farm. This particular morning started out with a frost on the ground and a fog that didn't lift until after 10:30 in the morning. My painting didn't want to dry fast so I got a lot of interesting soft blends and blurring effects, including the inside of the old barn that formed the outside edges of the painting. I took a walk in the nearby woods as I let the painting have a chance to dry. I watched my cousin bring in few trees with an old tractor that my Uncle will use for heat this winter. That will make another interesting painting. When I returned to my almost dry painting; I put in a few of the bolder colors and indicated some of the near trees and shrubs with some calligraphic strokes of a rigger brush. Finished painting is 16 x 20 on Arches Watercolor board (A new surface material I am trying that does not need a mat and glass when finished.) Doesn't this finished painting remind you of a cool foggy autumn morning?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casa Feliz - SOLD

Forces of Nature