Blue Ridge Mountains

I always enjoy painting cloud formations in the sky, so why not enjoy painting clouds in the mountains. This painting was a result of a photo one of my students wanted to paint. She spends the summer in the northern mountains of Georgia. I wanted to show the distant mountains as cool shapes descending into the distance, gradually getting darker and warmer as they became closer to the viewer. The clouds laid in the valleys between the mountains. I softened the top edge and the bottom edge of the white cloud shapes so that the clouds blended into the mountains. If the mountain was in front of the clouds then I would paint a hard shaped tree top to stand out in front of the cloud. Don’t you like the z-composition of the clouds that brings your eye down through the mountains?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casa Feliz - SOLD

Lake Helen Barn