Snow Shadows

I recently returned from a trip to Ohio. I traveled with some watercolors paints, brushes and a pad of paper. I couldn't leave before I attempted to paint the snow on location. This was the first time I ever painted plein air in the winter. I was told to use alcohol in the water to keep it from freezing but I had drank it all the night before. (Just kidding) I didn't have any. Thus, while I was painting, the water was freezing in the brushes and the mixtures on the pallet turned into slush. I got in the basic shapes of the background woods and hills, the main tree trunks and the shadows on the snow. Then I went inside to warm up. I painted all the smaller limbs on another day in the comfort of the living room. My main composition was to get the feeling of the shadows radiating out from the center of the painting. I did complete a few other smaller snow paintings later in the week, after the temperature soared above 32 degrees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casa Feliz - SOLD

Forces of Nature