Key West Lighthouse

This week I went to Key West. Not really. I did this painting from a photo I took while in Key West a few years back. I used the photo as a reference for my demonstration in my watercolor workshop last week. I wanted to keep the sky simple, no clouds and do a wash dark to light. The light orange near the horizon was added later, as a nice compliment to the blue sky. I put in light washes of color on the buildings and fence so they they would not look plain white. A shadow of a palm on the front of the fence helped to break up the long fence and to lead your eye into the painting. The rooster was added on the fence to give some life to the painting. If you've ever been to Key West you probably saw some roosters running around, unless they were replaced by tourists.

Comments

  1. Hello - I'm looking at the roots of the trees that are rendered as 'roots' by using masking fluid. Did you use a special pen do it, or did you use a brush? Did you put the roots directly onto unprepared paper?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Casa Feliz - SOLD

Forces of Nature